Work with GOOGLE as Research Analyast. Go to Job Openings for details.

Talent Management

Monday, July 11, 2011

A Day in a Fresher's Life - I



“You can have a seat while I inform Priya. By the way what was the time given to you?” My eyes were following her lips movement while she was talking. I think she had applied the full stick today on her lips.

“11 am” I replied looking at my mobile which was showing 10.30 am. The receptionist smiled and said “You will have to wait for some time. Have a seat. I will inform her.”


I moved towards the comfortable looking sofas in the far end of the reception after thanking the receptionist with a matching smile. I reclined on the corner most sofa but it felt cold beneath. How is my hair looking? The wind was also strong on the window seat of the bus. The receptionist was also smiling too much. I will have to check.

I waited for the receptionist to put down the phone and slowly moved towards her. As I was about to reach to the desk, she picked up the phone again.  I just went there and stood waiting for her to keep the phone down. She said a few words in the mouthpiece, then putting her hands on it said addressing me “I have informed her, she will meet you in a while.”

I said “Thank you and May I know the way to the wash room, please?” She just gestured with her hand and said “This way, far end on the left.” I again thanked her and started in the direction. They are so automatic.

There were only conference rooms on both sides with the names of Indian rivers written on the doors. I can bet someone like me is being interviewed behind these doors. Ah! There is the men’s toilet. Why is it always that as soon as I see a toilet I feel a tendency to pee? My hair looks fine, just a little ruffled. Why is the face looking so pale? Am I nervous? No, I think because of the light. The receptionist must be enjoying my pale and nervous look. She herself looks so confident, I noticed while I crossed her to again take my chosen sofa in the corner. Oh! It feels colder than before.

This was my sixth interview in last six months and hope the last one before I kick start my career. I can see a few magazines on the desk in front but don’t feel like picking any. An office boy came up to me with a tray full of glass of water. I took a glass, sipped a little and kept the glass back on the tray.

The office boy also looks more confident than me. Why not? He also has got a job. Who is that boy talking to the receptionist? Another candidate? Yes, he also has the same visitor’s card around his neck. How many have they called? Smart guy.  Looks confident. He came and sat not very far from me. Where is this Priya? Hasn’t the receptionist informed her? Will she come only after 11 o’clock? I took out my cell and checked the time. It is still 15 minutes to go. Oh! I haven’t put my cell on silent mode. I may miss Nidhi’s call. Let it be, she always calls at the wrong time.

I searched for the silent option, selected and kept my cell back in my pocket and casually glanced towards the receptionist while she was talking to an employee. We can tell the difference between a regular and a first timer very easily.

How different she seems and sounds while talking to him? I couldn’t hear a word while she was talking on the phone. I wonder how do the people on the other side are able to hear. Her hands are beautiful. I think red is her favourite colour.  She is also wearing a red nail polish matching her lipstick. I think you need be like this for being a receptionist. I bet this guy is after her. “You are here for the interview?” My thought sequence was broken by the other candidate.

I said “Yes” looking at him. “Are you working somewhere?” he was trying to open a conversation which I never like to do in this situation at least.

“No, I am not working currently. What about you?” just felt a little curious about his experience.

“I am working in a placement consultancy” was his reply. So he has some experience. Though I also show on my resume that I have worked for six months but I know it is false. He obviously has a better chance.

“My name is Rahul. What is your name?” My coldness didn’t matter to him.

“Ravi. Ravi Ranjan” I replied in James Bond style but the tone was missing.

“You are from Bihar?” It was an obvious next question after I uttered “Ranjan” after “Ravi”.

“Basically from Bihar but settled in Ranchi, Jharkhand.” I gave a genuine reply.

“Oho! Dhoni’s Ranchi?” his eyes lit up. “Ya” I replied to the customary exclamation after the disclosure of my hometown. 

“How much is your experience?” My mind was inquisitive about the competition he was posing for me.

“Six months.” was his short reply which also indicated that he doesn’t want to talk about it.

Both our eyes turned towards a girl entering the reception area with her hand in her handbag looking for something. As she approached the desk, her hand came out with a paper which she glanced for a fraction and said to the receptionist “I am here to meet Ms. Priya Bajaj.” We could clearly hear her from where we were.

Now this was due. When I was contemplating a competitor who seemed to be on a similar ground like me, here walks in an obviously confident looking another competitor and above that, a girl. Now, I don’t have an iota of a chance. I can bet the boy next to me was also thinking the same.

After getting the customary instruction from the receptionist, she turned and found us, staring at her. She casually looked away as if she knew what we were thinking and she least cared. She chose the farthest of the sofa from us to settle. Why do we boys always look so foolishly silly in front of a girl? I consciously moved my gaze away from her after realizing this. Automatically my sitting posture changed, I straightened my trouser, tucked in the loose ends of my shirt and picked a magazine and started flipping through the pages. I was trying my best to not look towards her but as if all my senses were concentrated on that side only. Suddenly, I felt that she is looking towards me and I just gave a fleeting glance towards her to find her again fishing into her handbag. Girl’s handbags are like Pandora Box. Nidhi also carries a really big handbag and I wonder how many she owns.

What all crap am I thinking? When would this Priya come? I took out my mobile and saw Nidhi’s call coming. I picked up and said “Hello!”

“Where are you?” she screamed.

“Waiting in the reception.” I replied puzzled.

“Then why didn’t you pick the call? See how many missed calls are there? And by the way why did you pick my call? Call me back, I don’t have enough balance.” I didn’t have to answer any of these questions. Just follow the instruction. She never has the balance for me.

I disconnected the call and called her back. There were at least 10 missed calls.

“What happened?” I asked.

“I was calling to say Best of Luck to you sweetheart!” her tone changed.

“Thanks but you already had wished me luck in the morning” I was irritated.

“Why, can’t I say it twice?” she took up the arms.

“Thanks for your special care sweety!” I surrendered.

“Hmm! What happened? It is quarter past 11 and still you are waiting? Interview didn’t happen?” she again won.

“No, not yet. Now keep down the phone. I can be called anytime. I will switch off the mobile now and call you after the interview is over.” I again tried my luck in overpowering her.

“OK. Don’t forget to call. I have news for you. Bye”

“Wh-a-“ she didn’t give me a chance. This is a very bad habit of hers.

I switched off my cell and looked around to see Rahul in conversation with the girl. A sudden flare of jealousy erupted inside.

Cheap! Boys can never change. I should concentrate on my interview. Where is this Priya? It’s already quarter past 11. Come soon darling and finish it off. I hate to wait. If there is a change in the schedule, tell me. I will relax. Again I am getting nervous. Why am I sitting on the edge of the sofa? Relax, relax Ravi.

I felt my hands, legs and jaw relaxing as I reclined in my seat.

Damn it! I am again feeling the urge to pee. I don’t know why they keep the temp so low. I shouldn’t have taken those sips of water. I will have to go. What will the receptionist think? Let her think whatever she thinks. What if Priya comes in between? I will have to be quick.

I stood up and again went to the washroom crossing the conference rooms. I was quick this time and checked myself in the mirror.

I look good. What did the girl think about me? Whatever. I wish I don’t have to come to the washroom again.

I quickly wiped my face with the tissue, checked my shirt and my hair and moved out.

Should I start applying gel on my hair? They always look ruffled. Nidhi likes it that way.

I smiled and took long strides to reach the reception.

“Priya was here looking for you. She will be here again. Kindly wait.” The receptionist interrupted my movement forward.

I only managed to smile back and dragged my feet towards my sofa. The girl was sitting there looking at me but Rahul was missing.

So Priya took Rahul for the interview. It’s fine. Let him be the first one to suffer. I don’t know what will they ask? I haven’t prepared. Whenever I have prepared, it has always backfired. Hope, this time it goes well. But what if it again doesn’t work out?

My head turned at every movement from that direction. I forgot everything and was just waiting for my turn. All my prior interviews started to flash around in my mind. I looked out of the window.

Oh! Shut up. Just relax Ravi. I should think of good things. About moma, about Nidhi. I don’t know what is there for me in my life.

“Ravi!”

I turned to see a girl looking at me with some papers in her hand. I saw Rahul moving out of the main door.

“Yes” I managed to say.

She came forward and extended her hand with a smile “I am Priya. How are you doing? Sorry, I kept you waiting for so long.”

I took her hand and gave a gentle shake “Fine. No issues.” Her hands were soft and very small.

“Are you carrying your Resume?” she extended her hand.

“Yes” I took out my folder and passed on the fresh print out of my Resume to her. She glanced at it, stacked it with the other papers and said “Come with me.”

I started following her like an obedient child towards one of those conference rooms.

Girls look attractive from behind. She seems not so strict types. But God please be by my side.




                                                                                                                                       ..............contd.

No comments:

Post a Comment