Work with GOOGLE as Research Analyast. Go to Job Openings for details.

Talent Management

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

What is the motive or the theory behind Performance Appraisal? VI (Goal Achievement)

Click on the link to go back to the last post
What is the motive or theory behind Performance Appraisal? V (Goal Setting Process)







When I stretched my legs thinking about my new post, I found my mind still lingering with the Goal Setting. It felt as if something is still missing and I felt I was not satisfied with my findings and exploration on the topic. I released my thoughts to wander and again retrospect the points that we have discussed till now in Goal Setting. I found that whatever we have discussed till now looks mechanical. It was not satiating my human crave. It seemed as if I knew about these entire long before. 

Who is not aware of the facts that I have discussed? Haven’t we all studied these in our schools or colleges? May be the words would be different, the presentation would be different, but it’s true that I did not discuss about anything out of the world. At max, I can say it with authority that it certainly refreshed our minds about the subject. But again the question of my dissatisfaction arises.

I then tried to find the answer to my dissatisfaction from my own course of life – why not?  You will find the answers to all your questions within yourself only. TRY IT


Thinking about my Goals and me, my thoughts drifted to my childhood. What was my first goal? May be in other words my first AIM? Perhaps I wanted to be Pilot. Those were the days when our goals changed with the day. I decided to be Pilot while waving at the fighter jet flying past the sky. My batting stance and my bowling action changed whenever Sachin or Kapil struck gold.  Even my friends will find it amusing that our dumbbells saw light only after watching a Sunny Deol starrer. 

I don’t remember how many times I have decorated pages with my so called Time Table but followed none. I think many of us would recognize with the fact that after each term examination there always was a resolution to improve upon the grades. 

Even today, how many goals do we achieve or how many resolutions do we follow?

Is it not true that whenever a good physique or a good figure passes by or at worse somebody ridicules at our waist line, we resolute on certain things to do but again...................

So, we haven’t changed since our childhood. How can we say that we have put our experience, our knowledge, our maturity to use if still we are behaving the way when we were curious little creatures imbibing everything that came across? 

We laugh and ridicule our failure when all have failed, feel sad and jealous when in midst of successful and feel angry on ourselves and almighty God when being sympathized on our failure.



Different types of emotions ooze out for the same failure in different situation. 

Now, the following questions arise:-

  • -          What is the problem?
  • -          Where is the problem?
  • -          Were these goals out of reach?
  • -          Could I have not become a Pilot, a cricketer or could have I not excelled in all my examinations?
  • -          Could I have not reduced my waistline to a permissible level?
  • -          Are these goals wrongly set?
  • -          Was I unaware of how to achieve it?
  • -          Did I put the right effort to achieve it?
  • -          Etc, etc, etc
There can be any number of such questions if we sit and retrospect our life, goals and achievements.


Much has been written about goal setting. We have also discussed about it in the last two posts. Yet, many people comment that they are not satisfied with their performance in achieving those goals. 

To begin, let's be sure we have a clear definition of what constitutes a goal. As we have discussed, I would like to define a goal as follows: "A written statement that clearly describes certain actions or tasks with a measurable end result."

To elaborate on this definition, a goal must be written. If it is not written, it is merely an idea with no power, conviction or motivation behind it. It will lack energy and purpose. A written goal will allow you to remind yourself and others exactly what has to be done. Rereading this written goal on a regular basis will help provide the motivation to achieve the goal.

A goal will clearly describe certain actions or tasks. A goal that is clearly described will eliminate misunderstandings between you, your colleagues, your staff and your boss. Clearly described goals will include action verbs such as create, design, improve, organize, purchase, etc. A test to determine the clarity of your stated goal is to show the statement to 5 people. Ask each of them individually to explain the purpose and objective of the goal. If each one has the same response, your goal is clearly stated. If the responses differ, even in the slightest, it is a signal to make your goal clearer.

Goals must have a measurable result with a time frame for completion. A measurable goal is quantifiable. It is described in such a way that the actual result cannot be disputed. If you cannot measure something, chances are you cannot effectively manage it.



Now that you have a written goal, what steps can you take to ensure you achieve the goal? The following will help you:-

  1. Regularly and vividly imagine your goal as accomplished.  
  2. Share your goal with as many people as possible so they can support and encourage your actions to achieve the goal. 
  3. Break the goal down into small steps or tasks and set deadlines to complete the smaller steps. 
  4. Review your progress regularly. 
  5. Plan each task or step on your calendar by making an appointment to work on a particular part of the task. Block out the time necessary and try to not allow interruptions, phone calls or other tasks distract you. 
  6. If you are having trouble or getting backlogged, ask for help. Also, allow yourself to help others who may be backlogged as well.  
  7. Make the decision that you will accomplish the goal. 
  8. Plan a reward for yourself for the accomplishment of the goal. Even if no one else (like your boss) will provide a reward, there is no reason you can't reward yourself- a movie, a massage, a walk in the park or something that is meaningful to you. This will also help to motivate you to accomplish the goal.
 


What I have outlined is a process for effective goal setting and achievement. A process will work if two components are present -- the process itself is sound and the people utilizing the process have the discipline to follow the process through. The process described above is sound and has worked in thousands of situations. The discipline is up to you.


No comments:

Post a Comment