Work with GOOGLE as Research Analyast. Go to Job Openings for details.

Talent Management

Tuesday, May 3, 2016

How to excel in an Interview - V


I fail to understand why do I get rejected in an Interview?



                  Now as we have successfully figured out as to how to answer “Tell me something about yourself?”, we are successful in creating a positive inquisitiveness in the mind of our interviewer. Now the interviewer starts thinking in the line like ‘give me a few more reasons to just stamp you as a select’. Hence, what’s next? Next is the testing of specific skills of yours, suitable for the job. No matter what sort of questions would be coming up next, they would all be checking out on your skills on offer - in detail. Hence, here you don’t necessarily need to mug up 100 different kinds of answers to the most common interview questions, with an expectation to remember the best one for the time to come. From heron strategizing the process is what that best works.

           Do you know that the biggest challenge ahead of us is fearless interviewing, because we all have given numerous interviews and will give more in times to come but we just do not stop fearing the moment. Do you know why because we are afraid of what question will come next and though they involve what we have done till now but then also we dread because we don’t know whether our answer will satisfy the interviewer or not. The remedy to this is preparation and preparation not in the sense what we have been told till now by anticipating different types of questions relating to our skills and experience, formulating answers to those questions and mugging them. Here we will also prepare but in a different way which will make you geared up for any sort of interview question anticipated or unanticipated and will make you fearless in turn.
          Let me give you an example to give you clarity of thoughts. Ruchika once told me that she is not being able to get through interviews and fails to understand why. She had called me for some openings for her and divulged her frustration to me. I had known her for quite some time professionally but had also developed a personal rapport with her. I asked her about her resume whether it is well written or not. On this she revealed that she had got her resume professionally written and does get calls for interviews but the interviews were not turning positive. I have met her personally and she seemed to be a smart woman with impeccable communication skills to me and there was no reason that I was able to decipher causing her to fail. The negative thoughts were also making her wonder whether she is in the wrong profession. As a gesture to help and also for my own benefit I asked her if she can meet me somewhere in the same way she approaches her interview. There was no reason for her to disagree and we decided to meet in a not so crowded restaurant the next day for lunch. In the meantime she had mailed me her resume and she looked terrific on paper. She had over 5 years of experience into sales, also handled a team in her last experience and had handled some large accounts. Looking at the resume I had no doubt that she can have pick of number of sales position in the Hotel industry.
As we had planned she walked into the restaurant only after 10 minutes of my arrival. In the first few seconds, it was clear to me that she had excellent social skill and she looked confident. She was dressed professionally and there was nothing to not like about her. It was clear that the first impression was not a problem with her.
Though we had not decided or planned but our further conversation turned out to be like a mock interview. I was not asking directly but asked her as what answer she would give to the certain questions that was coming to me as an interviewer. It also helped as I was not having her resume with me. Ruchika’s answers to my questions though technically correct, were loaded with generalities and gave only a vague impression of what she could offer as a sales manager. Had I been an employer, I would have doubts whether she could really perform as well as she said she could and as her resume portrayed. How, specifically, could she prove her skills?
Like, for example, what did she mean when she said she was “extremely experienced”? Did she mean 2 years, 3 years, 5 years or 10 years? I said I was not having her resume at that time and had glanced at it only 24 hours before so that also contributed to create that vagueness in her answers.
She also said that she has an “exceptional record of service”. What was it that made her service exceptional? Did she mean to say that she exceeded the targets? Did she mean that she handled very large accounts? OR did she mean that there were no adverse remarks during her service?
What did she mean when she said that she has an “outstanding sense of the needs of the market”? Was she adept in market research? OR how does she understand the need of a customer before actually meeting him?
I was not surprised when she said that her greatest strength was her communication skills. Most of us, in fact, believe that we have good communication skills. But in an interview, we need to prove it.
It was hard to know what Ruchika meant since she did not really have any specific data or proofs to back up her assertions. No wonder, Ruchika was being turned down for jobs in spite of her experience and professional demeanor. The employer before hiring Ruchika for some lakhs of rupees per year would like to know as to how her skills had produced positive results for the other company and gets satisfied that she can do the same for his company. You can’t expect your resume to do the talking or the interviewer to connect between the dots for you.

This is what I meant when I said we have to prepare our answers with crucial data which is exactly the kind of ammunition needed to tackle any question hurled at you in a successful way.
I also had once discolored one of my smoothly proceeding interviews due to such an answer. The interviewer seemed quite impressed with me until he fired me with a question regarding how well I was with interviews. To which I could not understand as to how to answer such a question. If I say yes then how comes next. Hence, I said that I am quite good at it because the judgment about 70 to 80 percent of the candidates I interview have been correct. It was a blunder. Nothing was wrong with my candidature for the position but this answer turned the course of the interview.

Hence, preparing well ahead with what you have is better than preparing by anticipating what is going to come. And what do we have with us? We have with us our skills and experiences which we have to make our arsenal with. We will start with assessing our skills.

Assessing your skills


          I don’t think you will disagree with me that most of us after coming out from an unsuccessful interview state that we could not explain properly our skills or what we can do for the company. Even 90 percent of the interviewers also cite the same reason for not hiring a candidate. They could not clearly state his or her skills. It doesn’t mean that you don’t have the skills necessary for the job but they could not verbally state those skills in a convincing way.
          In the coming posts I will explain in detail the ways to built a constellation of your personal skills and accomplishments which can also be called your “skills arsenal”.
          No question will be able to catch you off guard because you will be well prepared with offer stories and proofs about accomplishments and your skills that will impress and maybe even dazzle the interviewer.

No comments:

Post a Comment